Tuesday, March 13, 2007

llamaseteme

So, I've gone and done it. I've created a myspace profile, mostly because, in usual fashion, one of my friends had convinced me that "everybody's doing it."

Well, it seems to be true. I reluctantly joined so that I could be supportive and it turns out that it's pretty fun. I have my profile on a "by invitation only" kind of deal, so I don't get any strangers (and more importantly, bosses) checking out my friends and making judgements, etc. But, in the day and age where emailing seems to take too long, myspace is perfect. All you have to do is make a smartass comment on your friend's profile, and:

  1. you look like a good friend for keeping in touch
  2. you add to your friend's cyber-popularity by increasing her "comments"
  3. you look witty to the friends of your friends who now want to be your friend, because that's the only way they can see your profile- thus increasing your friend count and making you even more popular.

It's like junior high all over again, only this time you get to swear.

I've been on "space" for just over a month, and I've already found a bunch of co-workers who are on. And... ding! The boss thing, right? Yeah, I'm not so keen on everyone I work with knowing everything about my life, so I can't really tell everyone that I'm on myspace. You thought the gossip at work was quick already, try making it viral. Yeesh. So, "fight club" was born. Even if you haven't seen the movie, you know, "The first rule about fight club is that you don't talk about fight club." Having friends at work and not all of them are on, there's like a secret underworld, a second friendship, that is going on online. It's about to get schizophrenic.

I have to admit that I did not think of the "fight club" reference on my own. It was all Jill, who's myspace profile is under the name "llamaseteme". I knew, knew, KNEW that this was some kind of mangled Spanish, but I haven't ever been able to place it and frankly, I've been too busy when at work to think to ask, even though we chat everyday. Tonight though, it came to me. All those years of Spanish and it turns out that llamase te me means "you called me." Perfect.

Don't try to find her though, her profile is set to private.

1 comment:

Mike said...

good to have you back blogging!