Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Something nasty in the woodshed

After all that whining, I thought I'd show you some photos of our field work that show how it wasn't all that bad...





That bunch of stuff is the whole set-up for sampling. Too bad it didn't work for us, it would have been pretty handy to cart around. We did end up getting the samples. We had to bail to get 'em, so that kinda sucked. I'll leave it at that.


We finished up in time to get the samples to Fedex and we hopped into the truck to make the drive across Colorado, just as the snow started to fall yet again. The side trip we had planned to Archuleta County was out the window, as we realized that it was late, we had bad weather, no health and safety plan, and oh yeah, no contract for the work. So, we headed "straight" home. The weather wasn't that bad for the first half, we just coasted in and out of snow storms as we moved through the mountains.




This was our drive through the San Juan Valley, with the Sangre de Cristos off in the distance. (This is actually the only bit of standing water I'd seen the whole trip, but I think it looks nice, no?)



Sadly, these were the good parts of the drive, and once we hit Buena Vista (Bee-you-na Vista, no correct pronunciation here!) the snow really came. It was bad. Thank goodness Jill was driving, because I think I would have just pulled over and cried and then frozen to death. But, we made it.

The weekend was mostly uneventful, since I spent the days at work. BUT, I did stop and watch some basketball with Mike and Sara and a couple of their friends. Mike is a huge Buckeye fan, so it's always fun to watch OSU games with him. (I did not watch the championship game with him, since I know how emotional he gets with a big loss like that, and we all know it's a pretty good thing I stayed home for that.)

The rest of the week so far has been pretty much a whirlwind, but one of the best parts is my library card. I went browsing and I found Cold Comfort Farm, a story where I saw the movie first ages ago, but the book is so much better. Laugh out loud funny, but I'm sure only some of those laughs are meant to be there. Silly Brits. The cousins have the social skills of, well letsee who severely lacks social skills... engineers- and Aunt Ada saw "something nasty in the woodshed," which they never quite explain, but I have my ideas.

I've been reading the book all week, and I was (only) a little disappointed when Jay and Alison came up from New Mexico with new baby Adrian last night on their way to vacation in Florida. (Hey- I only have a couple of chapters left!) They camped out at my house before their flight this morning and it was great catching up with them both. We stayed up late and chatted, I taught them about youtube and we searched for people they knew on myspace. (They can only get dial-up. Such a shame.) This morning we went to breakfast at Duffeyroll, where they have the best cinnamon rolls on earth.

Up for the weekend: gay croquet in Cheeseman Park if the weather holds. I'm guessing that there will be photos.

1 comment:

K said...

Bee-you-na Vista????
You have got to be kidding me. You grew up on Tucson for heaven's sake. You absolutely CANNOT pronounce it that way... at least not without falling on the floor in a puddle of snorting giggles. Cuz seriously... Bee-you-na Vista???

Wow, I miss the hell out of you!