Sunday, August 27, 2006

Lazy Sunday

Today I was able to do quite a bit even though I was determined not to rush around for any reason. Lorenzo had called yesterday and a 2:30 meeting under the clocks at Flinders Station was my only plan for the day.

I slept in, wrote my blog from yesterday, walked to the corner and got my Sunday morning newspaper and chocolate milk, and then settled into the couch for the rest of the morning. Sadly, the only thing on TV was Elmo's Adventures in Grouchland, and since laziness won out, I spent a couple of hours pondering the fact that Bob and Maria haven't aged in 30 years.

Elmo had retrieved his blanket from evil Mandy Patinkin, and Burt having gone off to feed his pigeons, I decided it was also time for me to leave the couch, and so I headed downtown.

Since I was early and Lorenzo is chronically late, I decided to check out the Ian Potter Gallery of the National Gallery of Victoria, which is actually in Federal Square. (There are about 15 art galleries or museums here and they all have one of three names. It gets confusing!) I wondered into the Aboriginal Art gallery and was really excited about getting some really creative photos when the gallery nazis told me that there were no photos allowed. (Dang flash! If I had caught that, I would have definitely gotten a few good shots before I got caught, anyway.) Feeling a bit sore, I did the obligatory circuit of the rest of the gallery and took off before seeing the other floors. I'll have to go back another day.

It was just as well, since two minutes into the busker's routine, Lorenzo appeared. We did our double cheek hello kisses and were off to the Immigration Museum. The Museum is located on Flinders Street in the old Customs House. It's a very grand building, but you definitely would not mistake it for anything other than a state building. The collection told the story of people leaving their countries (voluntarily- the convict story is considered to be so New South Wales that they skimmed over that bit), the voyage, and what they met upon arrival. It was a good collection, but not quite what I had expected. I can't tell you how it failed, just that I expected it to be a bit more personal.

Pushed out the doors as the bells tolled 5 and the museum closed, Lorenzo and I were left in the CBD without a plan. What else is there to do but grab a drink? So, we headed across the river to Southgate and went to the Bear Brass Bar, which had some outstanding views of the city and of people watching.

On for tonight: very little. I'm going to continue to get through the monster book of short stories I working on now, and I might even make some dinner. Nah, who am I kidding? Soup's on in twenty minutes. Want some?

No comments: